The Visionary Chronicles PODCAST
” When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps…”
Wisdom from Confucius
The Visionary Chronicles | How to Lead in a Crisis
During a Crisis, Leaders who fail to move fast set a plan, and follow a path forward fail as a result of its poor execution. Having a Crisis it does remove the need to have a plan for how you are going to maneuver through, and out of the Crisis.
Setting a Vision for the future, providing true, authentic Leadership is exactly what a Brand needs during this situation. Not only setting a Vision, but an understanding of how it will be implemented, executed, and provide future benefit for the company.
In a recent study of over 2,500 organizations before, during, and after a crisis, it was found that over 66% realized no net benefit, 19% actually damaged the company, and 8% delivered results exceeding expectations. This is the time for a plan, a time to go after market share growth, and consistently communicate your Vision to all inside the brand.
“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short, but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.…”
There are 10 Principles when Leading through a Crisis which are effective…
1. Move Fast, have a Plan | A 6-month window is a key timeframe for developing a plan.
2. Define Inefficiencies | Determine functional overlaps, but do not implement blanket reductions. Analyze the new distribution channels, and determine appropriate investments vs reductions.
3. Focus Marketing/Branding Investments | Do not stop, but rather focus efforts around new business opportunities to drive market share growth.
4. Involve entire Team | Ensure entire team understands, and contributes to Vision, and this must be easily communicated to all inside the brand.
5. Focused Investments | In a new disruptive economy, reduce or reallocate investments to maximize revenue growth in new channel opportunities.
6. Be Flexible | With all crises, the unknown is greater than the known, be flexible and resilient.
7. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate | Enough said…
8. Change course as needed | The path you have chosen may be blocked, maneuver around, or jump over, either way, change course to get back on track.
9. Be sensitive, but direct | In a Crisis everyone is looking for a Leader with a Vision, but also a heart.
10. Set the Vision | You are the Vision for others to follow, stay true, stay authentic.
Podcast In my new Podcast, QA Session | How to Lead in a Crisis, I discuss 10 Key Principles Leaders can utilize during a Crisis.
We discuss this, along with other business strategy topics and pressing issues facing Entrepreneurs, Executives, and Small Business Owners.
Bryan Smeltzer is a successful consumer products business executive and entrepreneur. He has held executive-level roles in business development, product, and marketing with some of the world's most prestigious brands, including; Oakley, TaylorMade, Adidas, K-Swiss, Schutt Sports, among other international brands. In addition, Mr. Smeltzer founded an apparel brand, successfully running a profitable business for ten years, eventually selling to a VC firm. He currently oversees LiquidMind Inc., a global brand strategy firm that partners with both start-ups and established brands to empower their businesses to think different, be different, drive a passionate culture, and execute relentlessly.